Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

A new protocol

I have found a new protocol for DNA extraction that uses a couple of elements that I have not used before. This protocol from Plant Molecular Biology Reporter seems straightforward enough, and uses a chemical, hexadecyltrimethylammonium bromide CTAB, will alleviate interference from various metabolites present in plants. It also uses a chloroform:isoamyl alcohol which separates proteins and polysaccharides from the nucleic acids in order to yield a cleaner extraction. After looking rather extensively at my results from last semester, I feel that my main issue was not being able to obtain a clean genetic extraction. Keeping this in mind, I will also be obtaining new leaf samples (from the same subjects as before) and adding a step when collecting them as well. When each sample is obtained, I will give them a quick wash with ethanol to remove any pontential environmental contaminants. 

Tomorrow I will go through my laundry list of required reagents and see what the lab has on hand, and what will need to be ordered. If time permits tomorrow, I will head out and collect the new samples. If I cannot do this tomorrow I will most likely do so over the weekend as I want to get started with extractions as soon as possible. I can already feel the clock ticking on this semester.



No comments:

Post a Comment