Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

I think we may have a winner

On Monday I completed an extraction with the new method I devised and ran a gel with it as well as the results from the previous Sigma Aldrich extraction. My new extraction did not seem to produce any results, but the Sigma extraction again showed a nice heavy band as seen below.

The wells from left to right: 1 - the new extraction method, 2 - the Sigma extraction, 3 + 4 - empty, 5 - ladder, 6 - empty, 7+8 - samples Josh asked me to run (Staphylococcus aureus - I don't know the extraction method). 

It certainly is nice to see a big heavy band of genomic DNA. I had intended to conduct a PCR this week using the Sigma extraction but my plans changed... Tuesday I was unable to be in the lab as normal due to a honey bee swarm taking up residence in my house! This required me to bee there (nice pun?) Tuesday. I was made aware that the rough draft of our research paper for this semesters projects is due Thursday (today). For some unknown reason I was under the impression that I had another week. So, I spent a fair amount of time yesterday in the lab working on the draft, and more than a few hours working on it late last night. There is a downside to working late into the night - sometimes mistakes are made, sometimes they are big ones, sometimes you evidently don't save the work you are doing... I am not all the way back to square one, but I lost a lot of work. 

I decided to clear my head and get into typing mode by posting this edition of my blog. Now it's time to get back on the paper. 

and awaaaaaay we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment