Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

(about) TIme for Progress.

The reagents for the extraction buffer have arrived and I will be able to run the wizard kit again early next week. It is my hope that it will be more successful this time around.

While waiting for the reagents I went ahead and conducted another extraction with the Sigma-Aldrich kit. The genomic DNA results were FAR better than they had been previously! However, there may still be an issue. The DNA in the gel travelled much further than genomic DNA typically does, and the ladder is still coming out strange. The only causes I can think of that may be in effect here are either the ratio of agarose to TAE buffer in the gel is off, or the dilution of the TAE itself is off. I have checked, rechecked, and checked again my math on these products. I feel like I am really reaching to find a problem here.

This is the gel as viewed under uv light. The faint dotted horizontal line represents the wells that the samples were placed in. the purple band on the left is the extracted genomic DNA. Notice how far it has travelled in the gel. It is my understanding that it should have traveled less than half that distance. Genomic DNA is large and should not travel so readily through the gel. The vertical streak on the right is the ladder or molecular marker that I used. It is also strange in that it should have not been a amear like this.

A closer image of the same gel.

I am interested to see what will come from running a PCR amplification on this extraction sample. I will run the PCR once I have extracted DNA through the wizard kit next week and run both samples at the same time.

On another note, I will be heading out to the sample plot at Squaw Peak with Matt Haberkorn tomorrow afternoon to record data for the 3d plot map I am creating. I will use this data coupled with some root mapping to complement my genetic research into cloning in the Palo Verde. We will also be doing some foliage cover estimates to compare and contrast the growth habits of the Palo in the washes as opposed to in the uplands. There may even be some soil sampling in the works to round out the data as a whole. Looking forward to be out on the site. It should be a nice way to wrap up a rather busy week.

No comments:

Post a Comment